Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lord Knows...

It's really hot outside. To dissuade myself from killing myself, I decided to take a drive today.

Grey and I went on a little trip to Stillwater, Oklahoma to visit Aunt Deresa at the Beadery (I want everything in there), Mimi (Mom), Uncle Drew and Great-Grandma Turvey (she'd never seen him!). As we were cruising along in our air-conditioned compact SUV (as if reminding everyone that it's "compact" makes the gas mileage get any better), I approached a small bus. On the back of the bus, there was a message.

It read:

"We're following Jesus. Are you?"

This is the kind of shit for which I live. I thought about the question in-depth. After much deliberation, I decided that they were being literal.

"No. No, I am not following Jesus, tiny bus. I am following you. Your bus is in front of me. But, if you are truly following Jesus, then this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for my child and myself to see Christ up close and personal."

Oh, the pedal hit the METAL, my friends.

I immediately sped up to pass the bus. I think I may have seen a sliver of light descend from the heavens. My heart was racing. I knew that in a few short moments, I would see the face of God. Unfortunately, Jesus speeds like a Mofo, and I couldn't put my child in jeopardy by accelerating to 90mph, which is far, far slower than the speed Jesus was driving in what appeared as only a flash of silver whizzing down a long and winding road. I couldn't believe that Jesus would be so reckless behind the wheel, but hey...he's Jesus. It's "how he do."

My only solace was that I could still ascertain the make and model of the silver flash that Jesus drove. And, here I have the evidence for you now...

What, my friends...what would Jesus drive?

A silver Pontiac Vibe.

Which was instantaneously strange...

because my best friend AND my brother and sister-in-law ALSO drive silver Pontiac Vibes. And that propels me further to these conclusions from my Spiritual Speeding Speculation:

God (or what you know to be true in this world) is everywhere, all of the time.

(And so are Pontiac Vibes, apparently.)

Whatever you have made to be true, whether that be positive or negative, real or imaginary, love, hate, sickness, health, etc., is everywhere...ALL of the time...in your life. If you love what your truth is...you made that. If you hate what your truth is...you made it. Your life is exactly the way it is because you made it that way. You are unhappy because you choose it. You are happy because you choose it.

So own up to it.

I am trying to, daily.

So, yes, intrusive, personal-question-asking bus...if you MUST know...

I guess I am following Jesus if you take my interpretation of "Jesus" to be everything that does and does not encompass the entire Universe.

Who knew?

(Probably Jesus)


















2 comments: