Friday, August 5, 2011

Let Go, Let...Ugh.

I would like to do two things.

#1: Let go, let god.

#2: Stop using "qualifiers" and explanations when I use the term "Let go, let god."

Here's the deal, y'all:

I like the term "let go, let god." It's simple. It's thorough. It explains everything without having to harp on the particulars. In simple terms (for me), it translates to: "Oh, just f*&k it, people. Give it up. Put it out there, and set it free." But, when a friend, husband or family member in need is going through a particularly rough time, I find myself saying:

"Okay, I know this is a stupid saying, BUT..." or "This is sooo Oprah and dumb, BUT..." or "You know that my understanding of God is totally different from how most people are going to take this statement, BUT..." or "What I'm about to say is totally the kind of thing you'd see at Hobby Lobby, painted in pink with white swirlys on a plank of wood that you're supposed to hang in your kitchen, BUT..."

Every time. Every, single time, I qualify "let go, let god" before I say it. Even to Beau. And Beau knows exactly the point that I'm trying to get across. He needs no explanation. YET...I still give the explanation.

Why don't I just say, "Please don't think I'm not cool anymore, BUT..." I mean, it's that pathetically narcissistic, right? Yes, yes it is. Or maybe I just don't want anyone to misinterpret my idea of what "god" is? Why does that even effing matter?

Sometimes I try to say it with an air of fake suaveness, so that people will think I'm half joking. "Hey, you know what they say...let go, let god," (wink, finger point, double click sound in mouth).

Nothing works, blodience. (That's you guys. You're my blog-audience, but I don't want to type that out every time.) Seriously, nothing works to convey my sense of urgency or belief. I either: 1. Come across as a religious zealot or 2. Come across as a smug, hipster-type who thinks nothing (but secretly everything) of what I'm trying to say.

So, here...once and for all. Here is what I'm trying to say when I say "Let go, let god" to you. You should be so blessed to hear it from me, by the way. HERE:

Don't sweat the small stuff. That's just how the cookie crumbles, you know? Live, laugh and love. It's all in a day's work. You just hit the nail on the head. It's like finding a needle in a haystack!

I think I went a little overboard with the above joke. Sorry. Okay, here's actually what I mean:

Please, please, please for the love of God (which to anyone at any given time can and may mean: nature, the Universe, life, Jesus, Buddha, Allah, or NOTHING), stop trying to control every little thing in your life. Give it up. Let it go. Surrender. Give it away. Put it on something else. Give it to god...again...my understanding: NOT A MAN IN THE SKY, peeps. Just some crazy, cool energy and love. GIVE UP YOUR CONTROL TO LOVE.


The sooner you give up the illusion of control, the sooner peace of mind will come. (Did you know that I actually have a hard time typing out the word "sooner" without a scowl on my face? Just thought I'd share. It's like little, sickening sooner particles enter my face and turn my smile upside down when I type it.) I'll replace it with "cry babies." That should help.

The cry babies you give up the illusion of control, the cry babies peace of mind will come.

Yes, that was better.

Honestly, though, if we could really control the Universe, we'd all be married to the lead singer from the National, living in a loft apartment in NYC, chain smoking and writing sad indie-pop in vintage Chanel, you know? No? That dream not really resonating with anybody else? Sorry.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this:

We don't need to qualify what we're saying. You know why? Because the people that matter don't mind, and the people that mind, don't....argh!!! Why are there so many good, over-used quotes and statements!?!?

I give up. Let go, let god. Do it. The cry babies the better.

3 comments:

  1. desiderata - by max ehrmann
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

    As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

    If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

    Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

    Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

    Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

    Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

    Max Ehrmann c.1920

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tailor this message for someone who is a control freak? Someone who just cannot let go? Not that I know anyone like that, just a hypothetical question, or course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say that I enjoy your blogs ... and your very simple advice is something that I needed to be reminded of right now. So thank you for sharing it, qualifiers and all!

    ReplyDelete